Monday, October 3, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 101

It feels like an eternity since I've been to Wrightsville Beach.  After I did my 100th clean up, my family and I had to take an unexpected trip back to St. Louis to visit family.  But this weekend, I got back to the beach and loved every second of it!!  On Saturday, I spent 7 hours at access 4 volunteering with Ocean Cure for Life Rolls On and with Surfrider for our "One Foot At A Time" beach clean up!  It was an awesome AWESOME day... and I can't wait to share it with you all!! :) Here's a little peak of what we were up to on Saturday ;)



Sunday evening,  my family and I met Nina (and her family) at Wrightsville Beach.  I met Nina (on Facebook) about 5 months ago, and when she told me she was going to be visiting family in my area... we both agreed that we just had to meet up!!  Nina lives in Florida and picks up litter and other treasures-- such as sea beans-- off of her local beach.   But not only is she another kindred spirit, she's planning on sharing her knowledge and love for the environment with children by having her first children's book series "Adventures with Nina & Steve " published.  LOVE that!  




Fall is definitely here in Wilmington.  Over the weekend, the temperatures took a dip into the 60's.  The change in weather, marks a change in the amount of litter found at the beach. As much as I'm bummed that summer is over... I'm happy for the break in picking up overwhelming amounts of litter.
One thing that Nina and I talked about is how at her beach, they get a lot of litter that washes up from other places... Wrightsville Beach, for whatever reason... doesn't get debris washed in.  The litter we pick up (unless there's been a hurricane or off-shore storm) is from beach goers.  People pick up your sh*t!!  Love (y)our beach!  ...and if you see someone leave something behind... speak up or pick it up... please and thank you :)









20 minutes on October 2, 2011 at Access 15

Litter by weight: 2 lbs 1.7 oz 
Cigarette butts: 175

 
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 101 days:
35,279

No comments:

Post a Comment